Sunday, October 17, 2010

The ONION.com, an excellent source for news..

Ok.. I understand that the Onion isn't really an actual source for real news but it is a good site of respite from the daily grind of factual news.  The Onion is an interesting site which has updated content throughout the week.  It is a good place to go for laughs no matter what your views.  The site is laid out with headlines of imaginary stories and humorous photos.  The have a blog, you can follow them on Twitter and it hits on most every positive aspect listed on Websitegrader.com.  One spot they did get negative marks on was for having too many images, but that is part of the product so we will ignore that. Yet the still achieve a grade of 98.   They also get a good ranking from Google's pagerank checker placing them at 8 out of 10.  There are 5,750 pages out there with links to the Onion site as well, which shows that they are getting thier name out there.  The domain has been around for 17 years and that has to help with recognition of the name. 

The design of the site could use a revamping.  After you scroll down from the initial few headlines you see a good mess of thumbnail articles.  These could be inserted into drop down tabs from the topic tabs at the top of the page.  Saving people from scrolling down the page is good to keep their customers reading and good for their business. 

Their income comes from a good majority of advertising which is one reason that the frontpage requires scrolling.  All along the righthand side of the page are advertisements.  When I was on the site the ads were for Google TV.  Although I did not click through the links, I am interested to learn more about this product.  The other source of income is through products and subscriptions to a print edition.  You should check out their products page, the have some pretty amusing things.

Over all I feel that the site is well construction and is continually updated with laughable content.  Plus their roots are from the upper Midwest over in Madison! Keep up the good work Onion!

3 comments:

  1. Good post! I was surprised that the Onion received a grade of 98. Especially with as many pictures as it has?? Overall, I like the site and the materials. I agree that it's a pain to scroll down and like you indicated pictures are part of what news is.

    Anyway, I plan to sign up for a weekly subscription. A couple of the headlines for today are "Colorado Wildfire Spreads to the Moon and Hurriphoonado Cuts Swath of Destruction Across Eastern, Western Hemispheres." Both of them sounds interesting.

    Julie Speikers

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - so I have to thank you, and curse you, for turning me on the this web site! I have read the Onion hard copy before, but haven't ventured to their web site. Well, here I am thinking I'm going to make a quick comment on your post here, and the next thing you know I'm watching videos and sharing them on Facebook. Nice work Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a job at the Onion writing headlines!

    ReplyDelete